Chances are good you have had to clean up mould around your Singaporean home before. This is common due to the humid and tropical climate.
The problem is once you have gotten rid of the unpleasant mold infesting your home, you probably forget all about it and did not take any follow up steps.
This is an issue because if you have mould anywhere in your home, the fungal growth attracts mould mites. Even a very small patch can result in thousands of mould mites on the ceiling. Mould is a collection of extremely small fungal spores. They require darkness and moisture to thrive. This is also a feeding source for mould mites.
What exactly are mould mites?
Mould mites are tiny little insects that will feed on the mould in your home. This is the only thing that they will feed on. You may have heard them referred to as moisture mites because they live and grow in damp areas.
The scientific name for mould mites is Tyrophagus putrescentiae, and the name, amusingly enough, translates to ‘putrid cheese eater’.
They will move easily from one wet area to another because they thrive in the dampness. Once they are able to get into your home, they will quickly reproduce and make more of themselves. The mites outside of your home live on rotting wood, decaying plants and sometimes even bird nests.
You can attempt to remove the pests by yourself, or you can call a professional mould removal service to make certain they are eliminated from your home.
Recognizing Mould Mites
It can be difficult to locate mold mites in Singapore due to their tiny size. They will not bite you and are not considered overly harmful. They can trigger respiratory issues and incite your allergies. This is because their bodies have sensory hairs.
As they detach, they will float through the air in your home. You will find mould mites on the wall, inside of the damp areas in your home and in your floors and walls. Any area containing moisture will enable mould to grow. This environment is ideal for these pests.
Mould mites in Singapore do not discriminate by house age. Indeed, they can be found in the newest of condominiums, to the crumbling old HDBs in Tiong Bahru or Queenstown.
Hence, your home can easily become infested with mould mites. Their bodies are plump with no wings. They have long setae similar in appearance to hair. This is what breaks off and floats through your air.
Once your home has become infested, you will see strange brown spots or stains on your walls and most especially in the corners. If you have ever noticed any white or brown dust on your food packaging or storage shelves, you probably have already come into contact with these unpleasant mould mites.
How do I spot mould mites, then?
The best way to see mould mites is by using a magnifying glass or taking a photo where you believe they are lurking in your home. If you enlarge your picture, you may be able to see the tiny white or tan mould mites. Telling the difference between the actual mites and the source of their food can be difficult, especially if you are not an experienced mould mite removal professional.
If you have mould mites on the ceiling you will see a brown discolouration. The same is true for mould mites on the wall. If you have any fungal growths in your home, you need to check to see if you are experiencing an issue.
Signs of Mould Mites in Singapore
The most common signs include discolourations in areas of your home that remain damp such as your walls, food cupboards and in the corners. Even when you have cleaned parts of your home quite recently, a strong, musty odour may still emanate from it.
You may also notice any respiratory issues improve when you leave your home only to come back once you have returned.
A professional can locate a colony of mould mites due to their training, experience and equipment. This is not possible through the naked eye.
Professionals also know exactly where to look, what to look for and are able to eliminate them from your home.
If you are wondering how to get rid of mould mites, your best possible solution is contacting a professional mould mite removal company.
What are mould mites capable of doing to my health?
Mold mites in Singapore are just as bad for your health as the mould they are consuming to thrive and multiply. In addition, if you’ve got either mould mites or mould, chances are that you’ve got the other one too.
Your best option is eliminating the pests from your home before it becomes thoroughly infested and you may have to pay out the nose and use harsh chemicals to remove them. Breathing in the mould mite hairs floating in your air can also cause a sore throat, sneezing or coughing.
How to Get Rid of Mould Mites
Getting rid of mold mites in Singapore means you must eliminate their source of food. Once this has been removed they will no longer be able to survive and starve to death. This will effectively eliminate your problem.
You must be certain you have removed all of the mould in your home to be successful. If you miss even one small patch of mould, thousands of pests will remain. If the mould is covering just a small area, you can scrub it with a solution of vinegar and water. You will need to scrub hard to ensure you have removed all of the mould.
For more possible chemical solutions you can mix together for mould removal, read this article on how to kill mould with vinegar.
You will be scrubbing away the pests along with the mould. Any left behind will die off fairly quickly. If you have mould mites on the ceiling, you will see brown patches. You need to find and eliminate the mould to kill them. If you find an area of mould covering in excess of three square feet, do not attempt to remove it by yourself.
This situation may require the services of a professional company, and we highly recommend you call one. If you have any respiratory issues or allergies, you may make yourself ill or aggravate existing conditions by trying to handle the infestation by yourself.
Before you start any work on trying to remove your mould mite infestation, always, always protect yourself first. Don’t get so caught up in trying to remove the problem that you suffer adverse health issues. Whenever you do work with harsh chemicals like in this case, use a mask and apron, and put on a disposable pair of gloves.
If you are not successful, begin to feel ill or start asking yourself how to get rid of mould mites, the time has come to ask for professional help. Mold mites in Singapore will keep coming back unless you eliminate the growth of all mould in your home.
You can try setting up a humidifier and several fans to help remove the moisture from your home. On the days that there’s plenty of sun, open up all of your windows to let in the light and warmth of the sun.
If the solution of water and vinegar did not remove all of the mould mites on the wall, you can use one gallon of water for every one cup of bleach.
You should only use this mixture if the surface with the mould is non-porous. If the mould is on wood, you can safely use a mixture of water, vinegar and dishwashing soap.
Mould mites in Singapore will not cause as much damage as the mould itself. You must keep your home dry by getting rid of any damp areas. Do not allow any clothes you have washed to remain inside of your home when they are wet because they can become a potential source of mould. Instead, hang them out to dry on a washing line or use a dryer.
If the mould has been present for a long time in an area that is well hidden, the damage can be extensive.
Calling a professional to replace areas of your home destroyed by mould is both time-consuming and expensive. If you even suspect this kind of damage exists, it will only become worse if you do not have it repaired.
Mould mites in Singapore flourish in the areas that are the hardest to locate and clean. These are generally dark crevices in food cupboards, bathrooms and corners. You will need to inspect your entire home for any signs of brown spots and mould.
If you are still wondering how to get rid of mould mites, the most important step you can take is to keep your home as dry as possible. Depending on the time of year (such as monsoon season), this can be especially difficult in Singapore.
You can become very sick when exposed to large areas of mould. You should be able to eliminate the smaller damp areas with a fan or a dehumidifier. Simply cleaning away any mite dust will not be enough to eliminate these pests.
Prior to cleaning up the mould, you must find the source of the moisture. If you do not do this all of the mould you have cleaned away will simply return.
Completely eliminating mold mites in Singapore is not possible outside of your home. There are steps you can take to help prevent them from entering your home. Do not store anything outside within several feet of your home.
Clean up any dead branches or rotting wood and dispose of it immediately. If water is accumulating around your home, you need to find and fix the source. This will help you keep the pests out of your home.
If you have tried all of these steps but still believe you have mould mites, call a mould removal professional like Zenith Lab. They will locate any mould you have missed and eliminate the source before the situation can become any worse. Not only is mould harmful to your health, but it can also cause extensive damage to your home.